We're burning down the highway skyline,On the back of a hurricane that started turning, When you were young....(the killers)
We found out recently that a family friend, that has known my parents since before they got married, has stage 4 cancer. When she went to the Dr a few weeks ago, it already had gone to stage 4. She wasn't even sure if she had cancer before that. It started in her breast and spread to her bones. We saw her on Sunday after not seeing her for 3 years. She looked so thin and it made me want to cry just seeing her. She needs a miracle. She has a husband, children, and grandchildren who will be devastated if she dies. She was always a very healthy person, even running marathons. Then she suddenly got very ill. I am praying a lot for her.
I am trying to focus more this year on what Christmas really is. A celebration of the birth of our savior. It has mostly become about Santa Claus. Santa shmanta. Me and Santa don't mix well. When I have kids, I will tell them about the real person, Nicholas, who gave present to kids a long time ago. And I will tell them that Santa is like Cinderella, just a fairy tale. A fun story to hear about maybe. But he is not real and not still alive. Because one day I'll have to tell them the truth or they will find out somehow and know that we lied to them about it. My parents' didn't make us believe in Santa and I don't regret it. I'm glad I focused more on Jesus' birth celebration. Anyway Santa is just one of my pet peeves. Some people may understand, and some may think I'm a weirdo. :P
What bothers me the most is poor children who are told to believe in Santa. And they don't get any presents. Their parents are too poor to buy them gifts. So does that mean they think they were "naughty"? Or maybe poor kids aren't visited by Santa? Seriously, how do you explain that to a child wondering why Santa didn't drop off any gifts after they behaved so well all year. My mom went through that when she was a child. She was always sad on Christmas morning, wondering why she got nothing again this year. And that is one of the reasons I am so against making children believe it. Only children whose family can buy them presents can afford to believe in Santa. Anyone can believe in Jesus, no matter how much money they have or don't have.



1 comment:
Jesus totally rocks. i never believed in santa, and i think i was better off that way. lately, i've been peeved at the fact that people won't say "Christmas" anymore. it's "the holiday season" ... everything is renamed to avoid offending anyone.
it would be ok with me (and countless other Christian, i'm sure), if we did away with all the 'santa-ness' of Christmas and make it all about Jesus - the way it should be.
Post a Comment