Thursday, February 07, 2008

My labor and c section story

My labor was really long and hard. I had contractions starting at 3:30am Thursday the 31st. I went to the hospital when they were coming about 5 mins apart, around 11am. Weirdly I was only 1cm when I was checked, and they had me walk for an hour and a half. Then I still was 1cm. They gave me some muscle relaxers to rest(yeah right!) and said they expect I'd be back soon further progressed. So I grudgingly went home and labored for 7 more hours before going back to the hospital with severe back labor and contractions 4 mins apart. I was only 2 cm!!!!They made me walk an hour, and sent me home again calling it "early labor" and one rude nurse said how it could go on for days and if I thought I was in pain now, then I was in for a rude awakening. I wanted to hit her! The nurse earlier in the day was way nicer. So I went home around 2am, miserable, could not sleep, had contractions ranging from 8 mins to 3 mins apart. It never got to a steady rhythm but they got stronger and stronger. I had to breath through every contraction or I would have gone crazy. Finally around 10:30am, after stalling for fear of being sent home again, we decided to go back a 3rd time to the hospital b/c well, what if baby was about to be born. I was checked at the hosp and was 7 cm!!!! B/c they assumed I was only in early labor at 2 am that day, I did most of my labor at home in horrible pain. It was severe hip and butt pain contractions, the contractions in the front were bearable, but those were not. I didn't want an epidural but I already went through about 30 hours of labor before getting one, I thought I waited long enough and got to 7 cms at home totally on my own.

Then I got stuck at 7 cms. If I moved around my contractions would be like 1-2 mins apart, as soon as I would lay down or sit they'd drop to once every 8-10mins. The problem was Kavi was facing sunny side up, and the largest part of his head was at the wrong part of the birth canal. Hence my really long and hard labor. I was at 7 cms at the hospital for a couple hours and they gave me pitocin, which made my contractions stronger and closer together, I had the epidural by then btw so it didn't feel too bad, but I still didn't get past 7cms after being there 5 hours.

My water had broken sometime between leaving the hospital at 2am and going back around 10:30 am but I didn't notice it, otherwise I would have gone back immediately...it must have leaked and wasn't so obvious.

SO b/c of unsure timing of water breaking, and then finding meconium in me(baby's first poop, not supposed to happen til after birth), and baby getting a little stressed(poor guy sad.gif getting squeezed around for so long), a C section was decided. That was decided around 5pm. By that point all I cared about was seeing the baby and being done with labor so I didn't freak out, I was actually relieved. Kavi entered the world at 7:01pm.

The csection went fine, a lot of the nurses were being sweet to me and making me feel comfortable through it all. And of course Sujeet was in with me. He watched the whole surgery too!

As soon as Kavi was slightly wiped off, they put his face over the curtain above my head. When I finally saw Kavi's face, my heart was so happy and he looked so beautiful and sweet. He really is so sweet and cuddly. We love him so much!!! They then took Kavi to the other side of the room where Suj followed, to cut the umbilical cord and take more pictures. Then Kavi was wrapped up and brought to me again for about 30 seconds so I could kiss him and see him, then off went Suj, Kavi and a nurse to the nursery to do the other checks on Kavi and clean him up more. I was in the operation room about 25 mins more getting sewed up, and then was moved to recovery. About 2 hours laters Kavi got to come into my room and stay with us most of the night.

Recovery was/is difficult but I am already doing much better 6 days later. Thank you Jesus! The first couple days were rough for me physically and a little emotionally. I just wanted to be able to do everything for Kavi, but b/c of the c section was really limited on moving around. Now it's much much better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Stina!!! Amazing story! You were a trouper! Suj is a Godsend! You are awesome parents! I am so proud and happy for you guys! I can't wait to meet Kavi! God loves you and is with you always! ~Jillian~