Friday, September 26, 2008

Hypospadia Surgery Experience

The surgery went as planned, no complications.

We got to the surgery center at 6:35am, filled out some paperwork then waited to be called. Around 7:15am they called us in with Kavi and sat in a section that was curtained off. Like a surgery waiting room where the parents can still be with their child. A nurse asked some questions and then around 7:30am Kavi's urology doctor and the anesthesiologist talked to us before the surgery. After a few minutes a nurse took Kavi and off he went. He didn't cry when the nurse held him, which is good, and she fastly went down a hallway with him. He was interested in the hallway so we left without him seeing us. We went back out in the regular waiting room. I didn't feel as scared as I thought I would, but I felt a little sad leaving him in there. Thinking about him being alone with the nurses and Dr and them prepping him for surgery is the thought that freaked me out, but God gave me peace about the actual surgery part.

After surgery begins the hardest part in my opinion! Like when I had the c-section, during the surgery I wasn't that nervous or scared. It was the healing part that was very hard. Unless it's a life risking surgery, that would be very scary, but for these kinds of surgeries I feel the hardest part is afterwards.

Around 9:15 they called us and we got to see him in the recovery room, which was kind of crowded and small and chaotic. There was another baby nearby crying louder so Kavi didn't seem too bad sound-wise. We saw him and he looked so groggy and helpless, and he was crying but in an unusual way because he was waking up from the anesthesia, so he was disoriented and inconsolable. He was laying down and we saw him surgery area, which was bandaged and has a tube sticking out about an inch. We held him right away but I felt awkward doing that with his bandages, like I was going to hurt it,and he was squirming around and wouldn't stay still or cuddle in our arms. Finally after 20 mins or so he calmed down and stopped crying. Then it was time to leave. I walked him out and he was just looking around. He fell asleep in the car on the way home while drinking a bottle.

We got home by 11am. So it wasn't very long. I wasn't too freaked out during the surgery while we were waiting, but my heart broke when they called us in to see him afterwards.

It's a little stressful but he is doing fine considering all, just recovering now.It makes getting vaccine shots look like heaven! I never got that upset during his vaccinations, just felt bad for him. But I cried a little after the surgery, not during, because I saw him all groggy and sad. He has no idea what anesthesia is so waking up from it is very scary for a baby since they are disoriented. It's not from pain at that time because they get a shot like an epidural that numbs their groin area for a few hours.

Yesterday was hard and my confidence as a mother seemed to go out of the window! I felt helpless at home because I wanted to hold him but when we tried, he squiggled around and cried so I was afraid I was hurting him. Sujeet helped a lot. Thank God he was home from work, and is again today.

So we mostly have confined him to his stroller, letting him play with toys in it and sleeping during the day in it. We were afraid of letting him roll onto his tummy because of the tube, swelling, and the bandages. We still are afraid of putting him down to play. I called the Dr's office to schedule his follow up appointment, but a nurse will call me back for that and I'll ask more questions. We gave him the infant Tylenol with codeine a couple times yesterday. Today is better, he hasn't needed strong pain medication yet, no crying or anything. We gave him regular baby tylenol. He just has to keep taking his antibiotics and anti-bladder spasm meds. The tube is like a catheter but it empties into his diaper, and the tube can irritate the bladder and cause spasms, that's why he is on those meds.

He slept very good last night and we just woke him up twice to eat and give him a clean diaper, we also positioned him so he wouldn't roll onto his tummy while sleeping, which he likes to do, so that was a little hard.
Just wanted to write an update!

Today I feel more confident and less scared. He seems to be doing pretty well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear the surgery went well. You all are in out thoughts & prayers! Hope he has a very speedy recovery.

Anonymous said...

God Bless Kavi. I am so happy to hear things went well for you Stina. I remember feeling the way you felt, when one of my girls had to have tonsils/adenoids out. It isnt the actual surgery, but the feeling of helplessness afterwards, watching them come out of the anesthetic, and looking so disoriented and confused. You are a wonderful mother, never forget that!

Jodee