Is it just me? hmmmm....
Something kind of funny, is that whenever I have gone into a certain Indian grocery store called Apna Bazar (in Tampa), I feel very uncomfortable and they are not friendly. I don't know if it's because I am not Indian. It's rare for whiteys to go in the store I guess? I'm wondering if it's just me or if they act like that to everyone, Indian or not. I've been in there many times over the past couple years and it's the same story every time. Sujeet and I were there yesterday and we bought some things. After paying and receiving my change, I said a smiley "thank you" to the lady behind the counter. She then didn't make eye contact with me, and starting walking away from the counter to the back room as if I didn't say anything to her. It really irks me. Sujeet said in India that that is sometimes how they act and maybe those in the store never interact with non-Indians and think that it's ok to act that way. There is a lack of customer service and so I hate going to that store. I feel judged while I'm in there, even though it could be just my imagination. But it's not my imagination that they are just not friendly or welcoming one bit. Sujeet also thinks it's ridiculous to act that way in a place where how you treat the customer SHOULD matter. At the same time I can't help laughing about it. It's truly an odd experience. I'm not going to say that's how it is in every Indo-paki store, but this one specifically is not warm.
We were down in Tampa yesterday because Sujeet had a meeting with an agency called K-Force, a co. who places people into jobs. They do it for people in the IT industry, as well as administrative, medical, and some other careers. Sujeet is looking for a new job because he is not happy at his current place. So we're praying he gets an even better opportunity. After his meeting with the man at K-Force Sujeet said he felt good about them finding him a nice position. There already is an opening in Lakeland but that is too far. The pay is really high and had great benefits. But again, it's just too far. So at least he has a job currently while searching for a new one, however long it takes. I'm excited for him and I know God will bring him a good opportunity.



1 comment:
indian groceries are funny that way. sometimes they're rude up here, too ... but sometimes they're overly friendly. it's funny :) once i was looking for a movie, and i guess i spent about 5 minutes looking, then i went up to the counter. the guy was all smiley and stuff and said "you probably need help finding something!" but then i put a dvd on the counter and said "nope :) i've got everything." then he looked really impressed that i actually knew what i was doing ;) but in other stores that i don't go to as much, they seem to stare at me the whole time i'm there ... like i'm an anomily or something ...lol
Post a Comment