Reading a new book

I am reading Phantastes by George MacDonald. Published in 1858. George MacDonald was a big influence on how C.S. Lewis wrote. They never met, as MacDonald had died by 1905, but as a child Lewis started reading his works and was inspired many times by it. The foreword in the book is written by Lewis, something added in to later printings of the book. I read about 40 pages last night. I like it but to be honest it cannot yet compare to The Chronicles of Narnia. It seems the student has outdone the teacher. :) But it's ok, because it's still fascinating for me to read this book. I also ordered 2 other George MacDonald books, Lilith and The Princess and the Goblin, which also arrived yesterday with Phantastes. George MacDonald's books also represent the spiritual world. He was a Christian, and put symbolism into his fiction books, which inspired Lewis to do the same.
I ordered the books from Christian Book Distributer . I looked on Amazon and Ebay,but CBD had the lowest prices. I'm just so excited to have these new books to read. I'm kind of a nerd!! haha...I don't like the typical novel, I don't know the last time I read a novel. But I love fiction that actually has double meanings...and after growing up reading the Chronicles of Narnia, it's hard to find books that are anywhere near as good as those, in my opinion! But it's exciting to read the books by the man who had inspired my favorite author. I know I talk about this subject a lot, but oh well! :)



No comments:
Post a Comment