Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Texas Ranch House

I'm watching Texas Ranch House on PBS. Check it out! I love these kinds of shows, where they take people and have them live in a different era for 2-3 months. They have to live authentically in that era. In this program, they are living in 1867 West Texas.

PBS also has done a few other experiments. There was "1940's House" which was a house in WW2 London. They had to live exactly as Londoners during the air raids, etc. Also there was one about a Colony, set in I think the 1600's. The further you go back in time, the harder it is! Also there was another one, Frontier or something like that. My mom told me a quote from a little boy on that experience....the family had to work like crazy to survive through the winter. The people on the shows get interviewed a lot, like they do on shows like survivor. The little boy with a southern drawl said so cutely and seriously, "I made a new friend out here. His name is 'Hard Work', and I don't think you have been acquainted with him." Of course if any emergency happens, the modern world is right near them and so is a whole crew who is shooting the show. (I realize I had put Hard Word instead of Hard Work, ooops!! hehe)

I just love these programs because they show the way humans can adapt to their situation, and they show a real life example of the way people lived back then. It gives you the ability to go back in time and watch it happening today. Something each program has taught, is that the way we live today is much much easier than people have lived in the past. While sometimes the people really enjoy their experience living in the past, they admit the hard work is over the top. They sometimes feel more peaceful in the past, because of no distractions that we have today. They had to make up their own entertainment. So many of the people on these programs leave a changed person, and it affects the way they live the rest of their lives. At the same time, they appreciate the grueling work people of the past had to endure and also appreciate the modern technology we have today.

No comments: