Saturday, June 10, 2006

Keeping the "East" in East Meets West

Well, since Sujeet rarely ever writes anything here (how dare he be so busy with work! LOL) this blog doesn't do much to show the east meets west side that is the title! Maybe it's also that since Sujeet has adjusted so well to the US, that we forget that we are a mixed couple at all. It's just a natural feeling. We have gained a lot from each other culturally, so I don't feel like he is so different than me and vice versa. So to satisfy the East part of this blog for today, I'll just say Sujeet is cooking very yummy Indian food at the moment and here's a random picture of India I found online. Gateway of India, in Mumbai: I do hope to see this one day, and in fact I am sure I will eventually! Since Sujeet's family plans to move to Mumbai within a year or so, whenever we'd visit them in the future, I could go see this. It was built in the early 1900's to commemorate the visit of King George V and Queen Mary to Bombay(Mumbai). And remember, England ruled India during that time, and up until 1947. Here's more info about it if anyone'd like to read it. Sujeet and I went out to breakfast this morning, not that early though!! We didn't go to breakfast until around 10:30am. That's early for us, for a Saturday! But it was good, we hadn't gone out to a real breakfast together since last October!! I have gone with my mom or dad, etc but he hadn't gone since then at all. We bought more flowers for our mini-garden afterwards at wal-mart.

7 comments:

Christina said...

sounds like a yummy breakfast you made! We rarely eat breakfast like that since SUjeet is a vegetarian and all, I just needed some eggs and bacon! So we just went to a local breakfast place-The Breakfast Station. Oh we were up by 9am but weren't ready to go out til 10:30, hehe! It's early for us to actually be out of the house on a Saturday at 10:30.

Anonymous said...

Indian food sounds delicious... I have never had it. Collin is more into the old-fashioned American food... I am always the opne who experiences with new things. :)

Anonymous said...

i always like seeing pictures of bombay. nizzar has showed me in so many photos and movies where he used to walk and lived and how far he took the train, etc. my favorite story was when we were watching Fiza, and one of the characters went to a muslim temple ... he kept pausing the movie and saying "look! that's where i would take my shoes off! i would leave them right there behind that thing and (then go do whatever he did there)..." and explained to me that the temple was on some kind of island, and the bridge to it was FULL of beggars. (this place in particular he could never take me to visit 1. becuase i'm not a muslim and 2. he's a christian now)

Anonymous said...

:-) Nice picture from Mumbai... ooooh, like I said in pm, I'm getting SOOOOOOOOOO excited!!! If we see this while we are in Mumbai, I'll take a [icture of it for you...hehehe.

And speaking of all things Indian...I just watched the Bollywood movie "Straight from the Heart" a few weeks ago. I'm not sure, but I think it was one you recommended... OHHH, I liked it!!!

Frances

Anonymous said...

that should be "picture", not [icture... d'oh!

Christina said...

Melanie-Sujeet also loves pointing out places in India if he sees them on a travel show or movie. :)

Frances-that would be awesome! I'm glad you liked the movie! I haven't seen that movie yet. :( Melanie(nijusjaanu from VJ) may have suggested it in that thread on VJ once. I want to see it though! At first I didn't know what movie you were talking about, because I only know the titles in Hindi..LOL but I looked it up (Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam). Cool!

Anonymous said...

it probably WAS me who suggested it ... i'm prone to do that all over the web because it's such a beautiful movie :)