There's only One who sets loose the gales, and ties the trees down tight... (Caedmon's Call)
I just finished reading To Own a Dragon: Reflections on Growing Up Without a Father
by Donald Miller. The same writer for 2 other books I mentioned recently Searching for God Knows What and Through Painted Deserts.
I enjoyed the book a lot, even though some of it did not apply to me. He wrote for other fatherless men, and even in the preface of the book says this was written for other men, but if you are a woman reading it I am happy but please don't be offended! The reason he said this is because he says a couple things that would sound weird to hear if you didn't know what he was trying to say and trying to talk to men who grew up without guidance from an earthly father. So, I wasn't offended.
The book covers issues like letting God be your father, having to accept pain you might have from a father abandoning you, and realizing that God is not like earthly fathers. He says it's a constant struggle to not feel like a burden on God as father, since he felt like he was a burden to his earthly father who split on them.
Part of the book he describes how he thought we was stupid when growing up, but that he discovered he wasn't. He talked about reading books for the first time at age 20, real books, and how it opened a new world and a new feeling for him. It inspires me to read things like that, and I also love the "otherness" feeling you get from certain books. C.S. Lewis and Miller both talk about that "other worldly" feeling when reading, and I have felt it many times. It's a feeling that there really is something out there (like God and the spiritual world), and you get glimpses and feelings of it just from reading sometimes.
I really liked college and enjoyed many of my classes. Some were very boring, but others were interesting. I wonder if I will go back to college again in the future to get my Master's degree or else another bachelor degree but in a different subject(s). I think the easiest way to a Master's degree is to continue from my BA in Sociology, but I am not sure if I want a Master's in Sociology. I want to learn about something different now.
Maybe after we have kids and they are old enough to go to school, I can also take classes again. It's also a matter of money now, because I got financial aid in college to pay for all my classes and books. And now I wouldn't be able to get that. I didn't realize how interested in literature I was while in college, and didn't really take any lit classes besides the requirements. I also like things like archaeology, history, anthropology, cultural studies, etc. I guess I will see what the future holds. But I feel like whatever I do will help us with our future plans of wanting to help more in India.



No comments:
Post a Comment