Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Hollywood Religions, Fads?

Tonight at our bible study at church I'm going to talk about "Hollywood religions". Lately when it's been my turn to teach I have been teaching about other religions and the differences with Christianity. It's a good thing to know, so that when you meet people with other beliefs you know what they believe and why they do. It's also a time to learn more about Christianity as presented in the Bible, and not made by organizations. I'm going to talk about Scientology and Kabbalah, 2 religions that most people hardly know anything about. Those two seem to be the "fad" in hollywood now. So anyway I'll talk about those tonight and compare their beliefs to the bible.

My car is broken. It's still drivable but not reliable. It makes many bad sounds now so I am not going to drive it. So I'm mostly stuck at home while Sujeet is at work, unless my mom or sister graciously picks me up, which they have done for me! Very nice of them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

as you may or may not have noticed with me, i have very little patience with people who follow "fad" religions (i mean, come on ... if you're going to say it's THE truth one minute and then that you were just caught up in hype the next ... baffles me). i also have very little patience with those "tolorate everything" people... because they don't. if someone holds an opposing view to them, they get all bent out of shape. also, it occurs to me that if you're so tolorant and open to all religions and beliefs, then the one you personally hold can't be all that important to you.
like ... i'm a christian, and i make no bones about that. everyone who knows me knows that about me. i know it's the truth, so why wouldn't i want to tell people about that? also, why would i accept anything but the truth from others?

if someone said to me "milk comes from cats" and i say "...um, no, the kind we drink comes from cows" am i doing them some sort of intolorant injustice by trying to correct them?

and like anything, it can be taken too far ... when it comes to opinion, i definately don't think people should always agree with me. being "tolorant" really just makes anything acceptable: whether it be which god i want to worship (if any) or if i should be able to sleep with a woman, or if killing my own baby is a good thing for my situation (i just found out that my niece died because of this ... my sister is an idiot).

Anonymous said...

aww shoot. just to clarify myself: i'm not opposed to learning about different religions and trying to figure out why people think the way they do and how to relate to them better. ::sheepish:: not saying anything against you, stina ;) just ranting my 2cents (or 25, or 50, as it turns out... :P )

Christina said...

I know what you mean! :)

Yes, people use tolerance as an excuse to do whatever they want instead of having to believe in absolutes...instead being "open minded" and "tolerant". Sure, I am tolerant of humans and I will always try to treat people with respect,no matter what they believe. But I wouldn't compromise my own beliefs so I don't offend others like you wrote, about the milk...if someone says we drink cats milk, I would also want to tell them that we drink cows milk actually, so they would know the truth. Then they decide to believe it or not! :)